This great food has been shown to have numerous health benefits. The health benefits are found in the flavonols and the anti-oxidants which can only be found in real cocoa. The benefits are listed below:
– helping lower blood pressure
– improving blood flow and preventing the formation of blood clots which in turn helps prevent arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)
– Helps improve cognitive ability. This is achieved by the increase of blood flow to the brain
– helps improve mood. Dark chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA) which is the same chemical your brain creates when you feel like falling in love!!!!!! PEA encourages your brain to release endorphins, thus making you much happier
– Helps control blood sugar. This is largely due to the increase in blood flow making circulation of nutrients through the blood to the working muscles much more consistent and efficient. The flavonoids found in dark chocolate also help reduce insulin resistance by helping your cells functions normally and thus begin to use insulin efficiently
– Because Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants it can help free your body of free radicals, which cause oxidative damage to cells (especially when exercising). From a health perspective including antioxidant rich foods is a must to slow the signs of ageing and also reduce the risk of many types of cancer.
The dark chocolate you consume must be 85%+ dark chocolate from your online or local store.
Where do you bring this in?
– If you are prone to afternoon slumps bring this in just prior to the occurrence of a slump. Just 25g of 85%+ dark chocolate should do the job
– If you notoriously have sugar cravings at night having just 25g should help give you that feeling of fullness as well as the body feeling like it has been satisfied
– If you need you brain to work for the next couple of hours (meetings etc), have 25g, 30 minutes before you go in.
Again this is dependant on the individual and the time when it is taken however as a rule I always recommend 25g (small square) once a day with most people.
A lot of the time people mis-interpret what you say and end up eating the 250g slab in one sitting and the justify to their mates that its ok because it 85%+ and is a superfood!!!!
My advise would be start with 25g and see how much you can get away with.