What is it?
Candida is the most common yeast infection found in the mouth, intestinal tract and vagina
It is a fungus that aids in nutrient absorption and digestion when it is found in proper levels in the body. When candida overproduces and is left unchecked it can break down the walls of the intestinal lining and penetrate in to the bloodstream.
Now it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that this could have massive detrimental effects on your health and fat loss efforts.
Typical candida symptoms are:
- Skin and nail fungal infections
- feeling constantly tired and worn down
- suffering from constant fatigue or fibromyalgia
- digestive issues (bloating, constipation, diarrhoea)
- autoimmune diseases
- difficulty concentrating (brain fog)
- irritability, mood swings, anxiety or depression
- vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, rectal itching or vaginal itching
- severe seasonal allergies or itchy ears
If the immune system is functioning optimally candida is rarely serious however if the immune system isn’t functioning properly the problem can spread to other areas of the body such as the blood and membranes around the heart and brain.
You have to think also that when overproduced candida breaks down the intestinal lining and enters the bloodstream. This unfortunately releases by-product toxins and other toxins from your system which will eventually cause leaky gut syndrome.
Now we run the risk of your body natural pH balance being upset which can cause candida to grow out of control, which creates a systemic problem. What is then required is for you body to start creating healthy bacteria and get back to a properly functioning immune system in order for the body to fight off this stubborn infection.
What can cause Candida infections?
- high refined carbohydrate and sugar diet
- consuming a lot of alcohol
- taking oral contraceptives
- a diet high in beneficial fermented foods
- high stress lifestyle
- Cancer treatments
- taking too many antibiotics
Where do you start in killing off candida?
Firstly i would also recommend getting it tested via a blood test. The next step would determine whether you have gone for a blood test or not. Regardless of whether you have or haven’t gone for a blood test I would personally try a Candida cleanse for a week followed by a candida diet and supplementation protocol until symptoms start to improve massively.
1-2 days – liquids only
- vegetable broth from onions, garlic, celery, kale, sea salt and water
- You need to make sure you drink plenty of water to rid of all the toxins circulating your body
3-7 days – Raw Salads
- Eliminate grains, grains, sugars, starches and alcohol
- Drink plenty of water again and eat fresh vegetables that have been steamed
Day 8 until symptoms dramatically improve
- Still eliminate stage, alcohol and refined carbohydrates as these are contributing to the growth of candida in your body
- Still stay on the fresh vegetables including carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale and asparagus
- Add unsweetened cranberry juice
- Add some dairy in to your diet
Supplementation + foods to include
- Include coconut oil with meals and in to drinks as it can help fight candida due to its antimicrobial properties
- Milk Thistle can help cleanse your liver from the prescription medicines you have been taking, environmental pollution, heavy metals as well as the remains
- Apple cider Vinegar is a natural cleansing agent and can help kill and get rid of excess yeast in the body
- Leafy greens can help alkalise the body which helps fight against the acidic nature of the candida growth. Greens contain high amounts of magnesium which is a natural detoxifier for the body, vitamin C which helps build the immune system, chlorophyll to cleanse the body and various B vitamins which help energise the body and iron to give your body the support it needs.
- Flaxseeds and chia seeds contain something called Polyphenols which help support growth of probiotics in the gut and thus may help eliminate candida growth in the body.
- Spices such as tumeric and cinnamon contain a act component called curcumin that has been shown to completely inhibit the growth of candida.
- Organic meat containing healthy fats and a good source of protein is so important as factory farmed meats could actually feed the candida.
Like I said earlier in the post your first port of call would be a blood test to determine whether candida is rife with your body however if you decide not to go the blood test route I would recommend performing the nutritional protocol above or at the very least start including some of the foods and supplements recommended above.